Sunday, March 11, 2007

So Tired

I am at the Singapore Airport now.. in transit to go to Manila (philippines). I missed the budget flight from here, so I've been all over the airport looking for another flight. I got onto some free McDonalds internet and looked at some flight options. I decided on one and booked it. The thing is, I didn't sleep at all last night (it's now 1:30pm the day of my flight out of Thailand) and I'm crazy tired and I booked the wrong flight. I wanted to get out of this airport tonight (around midnight) and I booked completely the wrong flight.. airline and everything. It leaves tomorrow at 8am or something. It's cheap so it's non-refundable. There's nothing I can do. I'm pissed. I don't know what to do with myself now. I can't even go through the gates yet and hang out in the cool airport. So I guess I look for a cheap hotel near here... I dunno. I'm so tired.

That's all I really feel like writing, but I have time and free internet for a little while, so guess it's as good a time as ever to give you more updates (that is until someone wants this computer). Just ignore any bad grammar/spelling please.

Sooo... Thailand was a great time. Hung out on a pretty chill beach for a few days before the dive trip. Made a German friend and a Thai friend - both of whom I didn't get any contact information for and will never see again. Their names were Aaron and Bao. I also got in a little day tour of Phang Nga Bay area on a longtail boat and canoe. Very nice.

My 4 day/night Similans liveaboard was wonderful. There was a girl on the trip who was actually at Western (University) at the exact same time as me and also did a scuba course at the same company in Thailand with the same instructor and stayed in the room next to the room I was in last year. We played the name game a lot, but may have only come up with one person we might know in common from Western. We were probably in the same place at the same time many times. Possibly the same classes in first year. Her name is Meaghan S- something.. I forget her last name. Anyway, she was good fun and a good friend/roomie for the trip. Actually, she reminded me quite a lot of my Toronto roomie Amanda. Awww.. I miss my Manda.

Other than Meaghan, the boat was filled with a bunch of Japanese divers, a Finnish dude, and Thai dive masters. In the past week I've mastered counting from 1-10 in German and Japanese, learned Japanese colour names, and learned how to say 'cheers' in both. All very useful I'm sure.
So the diving - wow. Don't know how much better it can get, but I'll definitely try in the upcoming journeys. Saw heaps and heaps of fish of course (too many to name... you can ask if you want), lotsa beautiful coral, got up close an personal with a couple of green turtles, a leopard shark, and peeked into a hole where we could see the big body of a nurse shark sleeping the day away. Glad he was sleeping cause his size/shape was a little intimidating. Also saw lots of Moray Eels (Giant ones and others), a blue-spotted stingray, a couple of sea horses, and a sea snake. Unfortunately, we weren't lucky enough to be in the vicinity of a Whale Shark at the right time. Others had seen some in that area earlier (Richelieu Rock), but our timing was off I guess. Also missed the Manta Rays at the Koh Bon site the first time around... but then on our way back we stopped there again and on our FINAL dive, we saw 3 different Manta Rays. Woohoo!! Those things are gigantic and gorgeous. Very cool, but too short-lived in my opinion. My dive master took lots of photos which I have on my hard drive, but can't upload at the moment. Some other time, k?

......the other time is now. Here are some pics (remember you can click on them for a bigger view)!


Me coming out of a swim-through


And up close! (I know it's a little frightening)


Giant Moray Eel


I was hovering a little too close above this leopard shark and it turned away quickly towards Meaghan. Looks scary, but it wasn't


Everyone loves Nemo!


Cool Seahorse


Meaghan, Me, Turtle


Huge Manta Ray sailing by with his body guards.


Me holding onto the reef after seeing a Manta Ray and pretending to be one.


Meaghan, Matti, and Me

Being the novice that I am, I actually had a panic attack or two underwater... but I learned to relax and talk myself through any subsequent gasps for air. And with 20 dives now under my belt, I'm feeling much more comfortable. But I won't be planning any dives that involve fighting against a current anytime soon. Oh - and I am now certified as an 'Advanced Open Water Diver' having completed a 'navigation dive', a 'deep dive', a 'night dive', a 'naturalist dive', and learning to plan 'multi-level' dives.

Soooo... after the trip, I returned to Patong Beach in Phuket (the sex-trade, party capital of souther thailand) and got a dorm room for my last couple of nights. Last night involved a very late-night party at the crazy after-hours club with a few people from the guesthouse. Lots of dancing was enjoyed and the early morning flight resulted in never actually going to sleep. And here I am now. Killing time and wondering where I can catch some Z's until check-in 15hrs from now. :(

I'll be in touch with you again from the Philippines. Until then...
Comments:
Hey Keri,
we hope you have a had a good-night's sleep by the time you get this. THanks for the update on the adventures. Diving is scary to me (sarah), but Ryan would love to learn and see what you saw.
Have a great day and be safe!
Ryan's unemployed and really wishes he had the cash to join you.
But we can all dream...
Thanks for letting us live vicariously through you,
S & R
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?